3 Home Maintenance Tips For Destin Summers
In summer, your biggest care should be about having enough food for your deck party, and not how to repair a rotted deck or a busted appliance. The key to summer home maintenance in Destin is prevention. When you inspect and fix little issues you find, you can prevent bigger, more expensive problems going forward. Here’s 3 summer home maintenance tips that help you remain on top of your home’s maintenance before big problems start.
1. Increase Your Home’s Energy Efficiency
Summer is a great time in Destin to work on your home’s energy efficiency in order to keep your home cool and your utility bills low. Start by inspecting your windows and doors for air leaks. Put weatherstripping on doors or replace cracked weatherstripping if you feel air passing through. Inspect your windows’ caulking for any cracks or missing pieces and replace the cracked sections.
You can also reduce your energy bill by purchasing an energy efficient window treatment like plantation shutters - and potentially qualify for a tax credit. Polywood® faux wood plantation shutters minimize air transfer through your windows. They’re 70% more energy efficient than traditional wooden shutters and 1600% more energy efficient than aluminum blinds which many homes currently use.
2. Brighten Up Your Decks And Patios
If you’re planning on entertaining on your patio or porch this summer, check that it’s in tip-top shape for your guests. Begin by inspecting your deck or patio for safety. See if there are any stairs, supports, or boards that need replacing because they’re soft and rotted. Then seal or stain your deck and patio to make it look like new again and shield it from the summer sun and rain.
After you’ve replaced or repaired any soft boards and areas and sealed your patio, it’s time for the fun part: dressing it up. You can add interest to the windows and doors attached to your porch and patio by using window treatments such as sidelight shutters or plantation shutters for your french door or sliding doors. Then enhance your porch and patio with new patio furniture or maybe even a fire pit. Landscape the edges of your patio or porch to make it more colorful.
3. Maintain Large Appliances
Appliances that break down can put a stop to your summer activities. Here’s a list of things to do to maintain your major appliances and keep them running smoothly:
● Refrigerator. Clogged refrigerator coils make your fridge work harder than necessary and increase your utility bill. It’s easy to clean and vacuum them out. Unplug your refrigerator and then use your vacuum’s crevice tool (or a coil cleaning brush attachment) to remove all the lint and dirt from the coils.
● Dishwasher. Check your dishwasher for any lines that are leaking or backed up water. Then deodorize it and give it a deep clean by adding a cup of vinegar to a cycle. The last step is to clean out the filter (which is underneath the spray arms in most models) with soap and water.
● Washer and dryer. Inspect your washing machine hoses for any leaks, cracks, or bulges. If needed, replace the hoses. Once a year, you should clear out your dryer hose and exterior vent or pay a professional to do the job.
Have An Enjoyable Summer
By keeping on top of your home and appliances, you can have a relaxing summer. If you want to give your house a beautiful look this year with window treatments for your patios, living rooms, or kitchen, look through our idea gallery and then give us a ring for a free in-home consultation at 850-203-0419. We’ll walk you through all your window treatment options in Destin and do all the measuring and installation so you can just relax and enjoy your summer.